Dedicated to Supply Quality Activated Carbon & Service Provider
Pei Chia is a supplier of different types of granular, powdered, and pelletized activated carbons, used by multiple customers around the world for water treatment, and other liquid and vapor phase applications. Processing Assistance For The Water, Air And Chemical Industry.
- PEI CHIA offers activated carbon from coconut shells in standard grades and also can provide customized mesh sizes. Granular activated carbon (GAC) adsorption is an effective solution for purification in environmental remediation and municipal water treatment applications to remove trace contaminants from both vapors and liquids. It is also effective in applications for industrial processing in the purification of liquids and vapors.
- Activated carbon from coconut shell has predominantly pores in micro pore range. Almost 85-90% surface area of coconut shell activated carbon exists as micro-pores. These small pores match the size of contaminant molecules in drinking water and therefore are very effective in trapping them.
- All products are tested using ASTM Standard Test Method.
ADVANTAGES OF COCONUT SHELL BASED ACTIVATED CARBON
- Coconut shell-based activated carbons are the least dusty.
- The highest hardness compared to other types of activated carbons.
- Predominantly microporous, they are well-suited for organic chemical adsorption.
- Filtering of liquid effluents.
- Reclamation of metals and elements.
- Filtering environmentally hazardous elements from industrial wastes.
HOW TO MAKE ACTIVATED CARBON
Coconut shell → Carbonization → Coconut Charcoal → Crushing → Activation → Screening → Washing → Finished Product
Steam-activation is primarily used for coconut charcoal. In the production of steam-activated carbon, first the coconut shell is heated to create a charcoal. This charcoal is then "activated" in a furnace at high temperatures of 850°C to 1000°C with steam in the absence of oxygen. In the steam-activation process, all volatile compounds are removed, and at the same time layer after layer of carbon atoms are pealed off, enlarging the existing internal pores, and leaving behind a carbon skeleton. The carbon + steam reaction results in producing hydrogen gas and carbon monoxide (C+H2O=H2 +CO). As the carbon monoxide gases off it takes carbon atoms with it. Typically 3 kgs of raw charcoal will produce 1 kgs of activated carbon.
To removed the soluble ash content, it may be either "water-washed" or it is "acid-washed" (to remove the acid-soluble ash content) and then repeatedly "water-washed" to remove any trace of the acid solution.