Safety Data Sheet
Revision Date: May 20, 2019 Revision No.04
Section 1 – PRODUCT AND COMPANY INFORMATION:
- Product Name: Steam Activated Carbon, Activated Carbon
- Product Use: Used according to manufacturer’s recommendation. (purification, decolorizer, separation, and deodorization)
- Appearance: Black granular or powder material
- Manufacturer: PEI CHIA ENTERPRISE CO., LTD
- Name & Address: My Xuan A2 Industrial Zone VI-4, Phu My Town, Ba Ria – Vung Tau, Vietnam
- Telephone Number: +84-254-394 9681
- E-mail Address: email@example.com
- Product Type: This SDS covers all the steam products with same activation.
Section 2 – HAZARD(S) IDENTIFICATION:
Association Name and Description
- OSHA: This product is considered non-hazardous by the criteria specified in 29 CFR 1910.1200.
- IARC: None listed
- IMDG: Not Regulated
- NTP: None listed
- IATA: Excluded
- IMO: Excluded
- UN: Excluded
Steam activated carbon (especially when wet) can deplete oxygen from the air and therefore dangerously low levels of oxygen may be encountered. Whenever workers enter vessel or confined space containing activated carbon, the vessels oxygen levels should be monitored and work precautions for potentially low oxygen areas should be followed.
This product type passes the tests for self-heating substances as reflected in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria (see 126.96.36.199.3), and is accompanied by a certificate from a laboratory accredited by the competent authority, stating that the product to be loaded has been correctly sampled by trained staff from that laboratory and that the sample was correctly tested and has passed the test.
Section 3 – COMPOSITION INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS:
- Identity: Steam Activated Carbon
- CAS No.: 7440-44-0
- Typical %: 100%
- HS CODE: 3802 1000
Section 4 – FIRST AID MEASURES:
- After skin contact: Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash close before reuse.
- After eye contact: Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes.
- After ingestion: Get medical aid. Do Not induce vomiting.
- After inhalation: Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. Get medical aid.
Section 5 – FIRE FIGHTING MEASURES:
- Suitable Extinguishing Media: Water spray, dry chemical powder, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
- Unsuitable Extinguishing Media :None Known.
- Protective Equipment and Procedures: In the event of a fire, wear full protective clothing and NIOSH approved self-contained breathing apparatus suitable for surrounding fire.
Section 6 – Accidental Release Measures:
- General Information: Use proper personal protective equipment.
- Spills or Leaks: Clean up spills in a manner that does not disperse dust into the air, avoid generating dusty conditions. Sweep up, and then place into a suitable container for disposal.
- Disposal Method: Spent granular activated carbon may be recyclable. Dispose of virgin(unused) carbon (waste or spilled) in a facility permitted for non hazardous waste. Spent(used) carbon should be disposed in.
Section 7 – Handling and Storage:
- Handling: Keep bags closed until ready for use. Avoid breathing dust. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid contact with eye, skin and clothing. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
- Storage: Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Section 8 –EXPOSURE CONTROLS/ PERSONAL PROTECTION
- Eye Protection: Safety glasses with side shields are recommended for any type of handling. Where eye contact or dusty conditions may be likely, dust tight goggles are recommended. Have eye-flushing equipment available.
- Skin Protection: Avoid skin contact with this product. Wear appropriate dust resistant clothing. Wash contaminated clothing and clean protective equipment before reuse. Wash skin thoroughly after handling.
- Airborne Exposure Guidelines: Recommended limits for 8 hrs. Total Dust 10 mg/m3, Respirable Fraction: 3 mg/m3
Section 9 –PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
- Color: Black
- Odor: None
- Melting Point: Not applicable
- Freezing Point: Not applicable
- Vapor Pressure: Not applicable
- Evaporation Rate: Not applicable
- Vapor Density: Not applicable
- Solubility in Water: Insoluble
- Flashpoint: Not applicable
- Relative Density: 0.4 to 0.7
- Flammability: >280℃
- pH Value: 5.5-11.0
Section 10 –STABILITY AND REACTIVITY DATA
- Stability: Stable under normal temperature and pressures.
- Incompatibility: Contact with strong oxidizers such as ozone, liquid oxygen, chlorine, permanganate, etc. Avoid contact with strong acids.
- Hazardous Polymerization: Does not occur.
- Hazardous Decomposition Products: Oxides of Carbon.
Section 11 –TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION
- This material is non-toxic. Used activated carbon may exhibit characteristics of the adsorbed material.
Section 12 –ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
- This material, in its original state, is not harmful to the environment. Used activated carbon may exhibit characteristics of the adsorbed material.
Section 13 –DISPOSAL CONSIDERATIONS
- New product (virgin): In its original state, this product is not a hazardous material or hazardous waste. Follow applicable governmental regulations for waste disposal.
- Used product: Used activated carbon may become classified as a hazardous waste depending upon the application. Follow applicable regulations for disposal.
Section 14 –TRANSPORT INFORMATION
Association Name/Classification Criteria
- IMDG: Not hazardous.
- IATA: Not hazardous.
- DOT: Not hazardous.
Section 15 –REGULATORY INFORMATION
- SARA 302: Not applicable
- Europe: EINECS listed
- SARA 313: Not applicable
- Australia: AICS listed
- CA P65: No significant risks under conditions of normal use
- China: IECSC listed
- WHMIS: not controlled
- South Korea: ECL listed
- Canada: DSL listed
- Phillipines: PICCS listed
- Switzerland: Acceptable
- US: TSCA inventory listed
- Japan: ENCS and MITI listed
Section 16 – Other Information
- The provisions of the International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG Code) under the category Carbon, Activated of UN number classification 1362 IMDG code class 4.2 do not apply to Activated Carbon produced via the Steam Activation Process, by the exemption provided under special provision 925 of the IMDG code book. It is excluded from IATA#395, IMO class 4.2 or UN 1362. Product tariff is 3802.10.00. Product confirms to EN 12915-1:2009(E).
- DOT - Department of Transportation
- IARC -International Agency for Research on Cancer
- IATA -International Air Transportation Association
- IMDG -International Maritime Dangerous Goods
- IMO -International Maritime Organization
- NTP -National Toxicology Program
- OSHA -Occupational Safety and Health Association